Jump and Walk Animations

Just realized that I added these few animations (walk, jump) to my demo reel, but didn’t post them individually here. These were done for my 3D Animation II class.

See reference video here (it’s me). The final animation was made to be a bit looser than the reference video, with more motion in the arms and legs. My jump recording was admittedly pretty stiff and constricted.

Walk cycle (peppy, upbeat, confident)

Walk cycle dragging leg

Updated Demo Reel 2/8/14

I’ve updated my 3D Animation demo reel, though not by much. Added a couple of new, small animations, and I re-rendered all the old animations at a higher quality.

Edit 2/25: Finally gave this poor horse a rudimentary mane and tail. Modeled and textured (and animated, of course) by me, the mane and tail aren’t the greatest but I think they’ll do for now.

I also recently registered a domain for hosting my demo reel– another long-overdue item now checked off my list. Check it out! rcahern.com

VGA 1 – Painting Normals

Per class requirements, I’m posting below a simple (and quite unattractive, in my opinion) normal map that I painted in Photoshop in class last week as part of an in-class exercise.

Rachel_Ahern_N-Painted

To finish the exercise, I learned how to create a material in 3DSMax, load my freshly painted normal map, and assign the material with normal map to a plane. You can see the final product below lit by a small “free light”.

Rachel_Ahern_N-Painted_3DSMAX

I’ll admit I’m not too familiar with 3DSMax yet, as I learned animation and some rudimentary modeling entirely in Maya. You know what this means… new software to tackle!

Storyboard Animatic – Mystic Wood

Above is my final project (animatic) for my Storyboard class in the fall. Overall I’m pretty happy with it, although I’ll admit I may have gotten a little carried away… for something that was only supposed to be an animatic, I mean. All imagery was drawn in Photoshop using my tablet and compiled in Premiere.

The class was given complete creative freedom for this assignment, which I thought was wonderful. Unfortunately, so much freedom meant that I struggled to pick a premise and stick with it… Too many ideas to choose from. Finally, I turned to music for answers, as I often find inspiration in music for cinema. In the end I chose Mystic Hood published by Freeplaymusic.com. It was the final, closing notes of the song that inspired that final, closing shot. I essentially worked backward from there.

Intro to Tech Animation & Rendering – Brute Warrior Animation

Our final project for this class was to create a short animation of this Brute Warrior lifting his axe from where it’s embedded in a rock. The Brute Warrior was modeled by David Jennison (http://www.davidjennisonart.com/) for use by ACC and its students, and I believe rigged by my instructor, Brandon Lackey.

Playblast in Maya:

Final animation, composited and rendered in Adobe Premiere:

Intro to Tech Animation & Rendering – Fish Model, Rig, Animation

Our next assignment was to model a fish– a rainbow trout, to be exact. The goal was to keep the tri-count under 600. My fish landed at 562.

FishGeo

The finished model with background:

Ahern_R_ex03_Render

After modeling the fish, we rigged it. In the picture below you can see the skeleton and joints.

FishSkeleton

Controls for animating:

FishControls

And finally, a couple of cycling animations of the fish swimming:

Intro to Tech Animation & Rendering – Basic Modeling in Maya

Hey, everyone. I realize that I pretty much abandoned this blog as of June 2013, but I’m going to make an effort to resume posting my progress here. In fall 2013 I moved to Austin, TX to continue studying 3D Animation at the Austin Community College Game Development Institute. I took four classes that semester and failed to post anything about it here! For shame! So I’m going to make an effort to get caught up.

First, there was Introduction to Technical Animation & Rendering, a.k.a. Intro to Maya. I had already learned the basics of modeling and animating in Maya at Richland College in Dallas during the spring semester, so this class was more remedial than anything else. However, I did learn a few new and useful things and met some good people.

We began with an extremely simple exercise: modeling and applying colors to a lineup of primitives.

Ahern_R_ex01

After that we modeled a bunch of pots. This was time-consuming and very tedious, but a good learning exercise in my opinion.

vlcsnap-2014-01-13-19h20m38s94

The final product of this pots assignment was the very short rendered video below.